Divine Mercy Parish was established to serve the communities of St. John XXIII, St. Andrew and St. Clement churches in Dartmouth and Eastern Passage in 2020. We are proud to be entrusted with serving the families and parishioners in these communities and welcome everyone to join us in faith.
Divine Mercy Clergy & Parish Staff
Our clergy and Parish staff are based in the administrative offices of the church of St. John XXIII and welcome the opportunity to connect with you.
For Pastoral Care and Anointing of the Sick, please call the Parish Office. In the case of an emergency, please call Father Vargheese at 902-301-4120.
The Divine Mercy Parish leadership includes the following:
- Pastoral Council
- Finance Council
- Parish Leadership Team
The Divine Mercy Pastoral Council is a consultative body, of fully initiated practising members of the parish. Their task is to assist the pastor and other parish leadership for the parish's growth in mission, formation and as a community of faith.
The Divine Mercy Parish Finance Council assists the pastor/administrator in the administration of parish temporal matters. An active, well-formed Parish Finance Council is a key element for promoting the financial health of a parish, ensuring accountability and assisting the pastor/administrator in using the financial resources to carry out the mission and the proper objectives of the Catholic Church as stated in Canon 1254, and in the document Community of Missionary Disciples.
The Divine Mercy Parish Leadership Team is in place to support the pastor in the operation of the parish by helping him to make and execute the best possible decisions. This is an operating body, which means each team member is actively involved in, and responsible for, making and executing the day-to-day decisions that are needed to bring about missionary renewal in the parish.
Histories of our Parish
Saint John XXIII
Saint John XXIII Church was established in 1973. Celebrations are welcoming, well planned and spiritually uplifting, allowing all Catholics to participate in the Sacrament.
Saint Clement Church was established in 1955 to serve the needs and spiritual well-being of the ever growing Catholic population in South Dartmouth, Woodlawn and Lawrencetown areas. The first Mass was celebrated at midnight on Christmas Eve 1956.
Saint Andrew’s Church began as a mission church but on June 3, 1926 the sod was turned for the construction of the current church building. The blessing ceremony took place on August 29, 1926 and the blessing and official opening of the church took place on December 9, 1926.